The February 2016 Shellfish Aquaculture Workshop was held in conjunction with the North Carolina Aquaculture Development Conference in New Bern.
Click here for the agenda.
Presentations are organized according to when they were given. PDF versions of the presentations are available, as provided by the speakers.
- Welcome/Overview of NC shellfish industry & potential for expansion. Chuck Weirich, NC Sea Grant. [download]
- Overview of the NC shellfish lease program. Valerie Wunderly, NC Division of Marine Fisheries. [download]
- How to use the NC shellfish aquaculture siting tool. Troy Alphin, UNCW. [download]
- Developing a plan to get in the game and basic shellfish culture methods. Chuck Weirich, NC Sea Grant; Jay Styron, Carolina Mariculture; and Chris Matteo, Chadwick Creek Oysters. [download]
- Keynote address: Rookie mistakes to avoid. Bob Rheault, Executive Director, East Coast Shellfish Growers Association.
- DMF Habitat Enhancement Section overview of legislative studies and changes. Steve Murphey, NC Division of Marine Fisheries. [download]
- Shellfish Research Hatchery update. Ami Wilbur, UNCW. [download]
- Oyster crop budgets for Virginia. Karen Hudson, Virginia Sea Grant. [download]
- Shellfish aquaculture gear. David Cerino, Carteret Community College. [download]
- Oyster farm management. Jon Quigley, Chesapeake Bay Oyster Company. [download]
- Marketing and consumer research. Barry Nash, NC Sea Grant. [download]
- Marketing oysters. Lin Peterson, Locals Seafood. [download]
- USDA programs available for shellfish growers. Kay Yates, USDA Farm Services Agency.
- The NC Under Dock Oyster Culture Program. Phil Gagnon, Shellfish Gardeners of NC. [download]
Updated March 2, 2016