This shellfish aquaculture workshop, with a focus on oyster aquaculture, was held at the University of North Carolina Wilmington Center for Marine Science.
The sessions were offered by North Carolina Sea Grant, in cooperation with the N.C. Shellfish Growers Association, UNCW Center for Marine Science and Carteret Community College. The meeting was funded through a grant from the NOAA Sea Grant Extension and Technology Transfer Program.
Go here for the agenda.
Presentations are organized according to when they were given. PDF versions of the presentations are available, as provided by the speakers.
- Welcome/overview of North Carolina shellfish industry and potential for expansion. Chuck Weirich, North Carolina Sea Grant. [download]
- N.C. shellfish lease program. Valerie Wunderly, N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries. [download]
- How to use the North Carolina shellfish aquaculture siting tool. Troy Alphin, University of North Carolina Wilmington. [download]
- Harvesting, storing, and transporting shellfish. Shannon Jenkins, N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries. [download]
- Growing the oyster aquaculture industry in the Gulf of Mexico. Bill Walton, Auburn University. [download]
- N.C. shellfish industry: A grower’s perspective. Jay Styron, owner of Carolina Mariculture and president of the N.C. Shellfish Growers Association. [download]
- Shellfish aquaculture gear. Dave Cerino, Carteret Community College. [download]
- Enhancing the market value of North Carolina shellfish. Barry Nash, North Carolina Sea Grant. [download]