North Carolina Sea Grant’s core research projects include diverse coastal topics that typically are funded by a combination of both federal and state dollars with an emphasis on applied research initiatives. Core funding operates on a two-year cycle.
We strongly encourage proposals from faculty researchers at Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Minority Serving Institutions, and/or from traditionally underserved and underrepresented communities, as well as faculty who can demonstrate how their work and related outreach will benefit underserved and underrepresented communities.
Researchers must show how their one- or two-year studies meet the identified needs of North Carolina and how that work will ultimately benefit our coast, often having an impact on a regional, national or international level. These projects require matching funds identified by the researcher and their home university.
The full proposal deadline is April 19 at 5:00 p.m. only for teams who submitted preproposals.
- 2022-2024 Preproposal Call: closed
- 2021 Full Proposal RFP announcement/instructions: OPEN until April 19 only for teams who submitted preproposals.
- 2021 Full Proposal Project Narrative Form
- 2018-2023 Strategic Plan
- Read the news release advertising the 2022-2024 projects.
- Read the news release announcing 2020-2022 projects.
- Read the news release announcing 2018-2020 projects.
Updated March 2, 2021