North Carolina Sea Grant
Mariner's Menu

Mariner's Menu

June 16, 2014 | Vanda Lewis

seafood traditions

Kay Holm. Photo by Scott Taylor

Kay Holm. Photo by Scott Taylor

Squid. That was the first seafood ingredient Kay Holm was introduced to as the newest Nutrition Leader one day at the Seafood Lab in the early 1980s. “I looked at it and thought, ooooooh. But it was darned good!” says the long-time Merrimon resident. “We cleaned them. We fried them. Those things were buggers. But they were very, very good.” The group even served the recipe at Carteret County’s Strange Seafood Festival the following year, and she remembers people coming back for seconds.

In almost 20 years with Taylor and the Nutrition Leaders, Holm has learned a lot more, too, about other species, ways to cook seafood, herb and spice use, and entertaining with seafood.

“I learned a great deal about cooking fish,” she says. “I can look at a fish that comes out of the sea and say, ‘I think I know what I can do with it.’ ”

Find out more about Kay Holm and her fellow Nutrition Leaders in Mariner’s Menu: 30 Years of  Fresh Seafood Ideas. It is available from North Carolina Sea Grant by calling 919/515-9101 or 252/222-6307, from your local bookstore, or from UNC Press.

From: Mariner’s Menu: 30 Years of Fresh Seafood Ideas 

Contributed by Joyce Taylor

«
»