The NC Sentinel Site Cooperative (NCSSC) is one of five cooperatives in the NOAA Sentinel Site Program. The NCSSC was established in 2012 to leverage resources and provide information related to the potential impacts of sea level rise on coastal habitats and communities in eastern North Carolina.
In 2018, the NCSSC expanded to include the 20 counties designated by the N.C. Coastal Area Management Act, plus Jones and Martin counties.
NCSSC partners work collaboratively across disciplines to share research, monitoring and other information that address resilience to flooding, inundation and sea level rise.
The NCSSC hosts trainings, workshops and partner meetings; conducts outreach and facilitates communication among stakeholders; and builds a network of partners in coastal North Carolina.
Please contact NCSSC coordinator Sarah Spiegler with questions.
- NCSSC Quarterly newsletters
- Please email NCSSC coordinator Sarah Spiegler at email@example.com to be added to the email distribution list.
- NC SET Community of Practice, facilitated by the NCSSC
- A collaborative effort among scientists, resource managers and town staff in North Carolina who have installed Surface Elevation Tables (SETs) and who are working together to understand the trends of elevation changes in our marshes. Read more in this award-winning Coastwatch magazine story.
- 2019 Partners Research Update from the N.C. Coastal Conference
- Presentations from the 2019 NCSSC partner research updates in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- NOAA Tech Memo: Report on the 2017 Partners Meeting
- A report detailing the 2017 NCSSC partner meeting in Beaufort, North Carolina.
- NOAA Tech Memo: Report on the Sea-Level Rise Research and Monitoring Coordination Workshop (2013)
- A report detailing the 2013 NCSSC partner workshop in Beaufort, North Carolina.
- Implementation Plan
- Identifies goals, objectives and actions for the NCSSC.
CORE MANAGEMENT TEAM
- John Fear (chair), NC Sea Grant
- Brandon Puckett (vice-chair), NC National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Reide Corbett, Coastal Studies Institute
- Carolyn Currin, NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
- Jennifer Dorton, SECOORA
- Rebecca Ellin, NC National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Paula Farnell, Sturgeon City of Jacksonville
- David Glenn, NOAA National Weather Service
- Nathan Hall, UNC Institute of Marine Sciences
- Lynn Leonard, UNC-Wilmington
- Tancred Miller, NC Division of Coastal Management
- Justin Ridge, Duke University Marine Lab
- NOAA National Ocean Service Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
- NOAA National Weather Service, Newport-Morehead City
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
- NOAA Southeast and Caribbean Regional Collaboration Team
- NOAA Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services
- NOAA Office for Coastal Management
- NC National Estuarine Research Reserve
- North Carolina Coastal Reserve
- North Carolina Division of Coastal Management
- North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries
- North Carolina Sea Grant
- Department of Defense, Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base
- Cape Lookout National Seashore (National Park Service)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
- Town of Beaufort, North Carolina
- City of Jacksonville, North Carolina
- Town of Swansboro, North Carolina
- Town of Nags Head, North Carolina
- Duke University Marine Lab
- University of North Carolina Institute for Marine Sciences
- NC State University Center for Marine Sciences and Technology
- East Carolina University
- Coastal Studies Institute
- University of North Carolina Wilmington, Center for Marine Science
- Oregon State University
- SE Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Audubon North Carolina
- The Nature Conservancy of North Carolina
- The Southeast Coastal Ocean Observing Regional Association
- Southeast Regional Partnership for Planning and Sustainability
- Sturgeon City Environmental Education Center
- North Carolina King Tides Project
- Chesapeake Bay SSC
- Northern Gulf of Mexico SSC
- San Francisco SSC
- Hawaii SSC
- Sarah Spiegler, N.C. Sentinel Site Cooperative coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 252-222-6307