- 1 pound bay scallops, (or sea scallops quartered)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs mixed with 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup medium cheddar cheese, freshly grated
Heat the oven to 350° F. Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. In a medium skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add celery, mushrooms and green pepper and cook until tender.
In a separate medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Blend in flour, ¾ teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Add milk gradually and stir until thickened.
Combine scallops, vegetables and sauce. Pour into greased 1 ½-quart casserole. Combine bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.