Using flaked fish helps vary the use of fish in your menu. Rather than cooking and serving individual pieces of fish, occasionally flaking the fish combining it with other favorite ingredients can make a great new recipe.
- 1 cup flaked fish
- 1/2 cup chopped shrimp (or crabmeat or clams)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups canned, chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 tablespoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 large unbaked pizza crusts
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly sauté onion. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder, oregano, basil, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes. Add shrimp. Continue to simmer 10 minutes longer. Gently stir in flaked fish.
Spread on pizza crusts. Top with cheese. Bake at 450° F until crust is brown and cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
(Hint: If you only need one pizza, freeze sauce for later use. Freezes well.)